Virgin Coconut Oil book by Brian and Marianita Jader Shilhavy for free for reading and reviewing from Tropical Traditions.
This book has over 85 previously unpublished recipes that all have some form of coconut in them. It also has testimonials from over 100 different people that are using virgin coconut oil. This book is very informative and had a lot of things I just didn't know about coconut oil.
I learned that virgin coconut oil is processed differently from refined coconut oil. Because of the purity, virgin coconut oil is supposed to be better for you than refined. These refined coconut oils are hydrogenated, meaning they contain "trans fatty acids" (TFAs), which are toxic substances that enter cell membranes, block utilization of essential fatty acids (EFAs) and disrupt cell functionality. TFAs also cause a rise in blood cholesterol that could increase the risk of coronary heart disease. Non-hydrogenated virgin coconut oil does not contain harmful TFAs. Not all saturated fats are bad for you. Fats are categorized as short, medium or long chain regarding the number of carbon molecules they have. About two-thirds of the saturated fat in coconut oil is made up of medium chain fatty acids. Both short and medium chain fatty acids are easily digestible and converted into quick energy, thus less likely to cause obesity. Other plant-based oils usually consist of the long chain fatty acids which are stored in the body as fat. Since medium chain fatty acids are also very resistant to any change via heat the heat when cooking with the coconut oil does not destroy enzymes and other beneficial nutrients. Also, nearly 50% of the fatty acid in natural virgin coconut oil is lauric acid, which changes to the fatty acid monolaurin while in the body. Monolaurin helps support your immune system since it is antimicrobial and antiviral. It is also an active ingredient found in breast-milk!
I found this book interesting and was particularly drawn to the part about virgin coconut oil and thyroid health in chapter 6 because of the fact I know of so many people who are all plagued by thyroid problems. It is so true that many, many people are. This book made some very captivating points and facts that I just didn't know about this topic.
You can buy this book HERE at $14.99 or $9.99 for the ebook version.
Tabitha from Tropical Traditions PR has generously offered another Virgin Coconut Oil Book by Brian and Marianita Jader Shilhavy to one of my readers to win.
1. Go to the Tropical Traditions website and tell me by commenting on this post something you learned about their Virgin Coconut Oil.
1. Subscribe to my blog by feedburner or by email and let me know which way. (2 extra entries each)
2. Fan/Like me on facebook and write something on my wall. (1 extra entry)
3. Blog about this giveaway on your blog and provide me with the link. Make sure you have the link to this post and Tropical Traditions in your blog entry or it won't count. (2 extra entries)
4. Grab My Button (see sidebar to the left) AND/OR Put My Blog URL in Your Blogroll - Leave Your Link. (1 extra entry)
5. Technorati my blog and let me know your link. (1 extra entry)
6. Fave me on Momfaves. (2 extra entries)
7. List this giveaway on any giveaway listing website or blog giveaway linky and tell me where you listed it. (2 extra entries)
8. Post this on your Facebook wall, Kirtsy, and/or StumbleUpon. (2 extra entries for each)
9. Comment on one of my regular (not giveaway) posts. (1 extra entry per post you comment on)
10. Follow me on Twitter. (1 extra entry)
11. Tweet this: @finamoon: @Troptraditions WIN A Tropical Traditions Virgin Coconut Oil Book #giveaway http://bit.ly/db21c8 (Daily Extras are Available)
12. Fan/Like Tropical Traditions on Facebook. (1 extra entry)
13. Follow Tropical Traditions on Twitter. (1 extra entry)
14. Sign up for their email sales newsletter. (3 extra entries)
Make sure you leave me your email in all posts so that I can contact you. If you subscribed, blogged about this, listed it, commented on another post, or faved me on Momfaves leave 2 entries saying you did. This contest ends on Friday October 08, 2010 at midnight (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada). This Giveaway is open to all 18 years and over in the U.S. Only!!
DISCLOSURE/DISCLAIMER: Thanks to Tropical Traditions for providing me with the Virgin Coconut Oil book by Brian and Marianita Jader Shilhavy for free to read and review. This giveaway is also provided free from Tropical Traditions. My thoughts are mine and my family's own opinion and have not been altered by anyone else. I did not receive any other compensation for doing this review.
The information provided on this blog post is, at best, of a general nature and cannot substitute for the advice of a medical professional (for instance, a qualified doctor/physician, nurse, pharmacist/chemist, and so on). I am not a medical professional, just a mom with a opinion. Coconut oil is a food, not a medication. It is not supposed to "cure" anyone's ailments and I am not suggesting or claiming that it does. I am only suggesting that according to this book virgin coconut oil might be a better, healthier alternative to other oils.