Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The X and Y of Buy by Elizabeth Pace Review

The X and Y of Buy by Elizabeth Pace is a book that tells how to be a successful marketer by knowing the differences between men and women. Let's face it, women shop differently than men. Men like to get in and get out with what they were after without spending too much time and hassle on it. Women like to peruse through the store and find bargains even if it wasn't something they were after to begin with and have a "shop til we drop" mentality. It also says that a man doesn't use both hemispheres of the brain at the same time and a woman is the opposite multi-tasking at every turn and connecting all things together. At least this is what this book says and some of you might be in disagreement about the whole "Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus" thing. There are always going to be men and women who don't fit the gender stereotypes.

I find myself more so a stereotypical female. I am a SAHM and love spending time with my kids. My husband is the breadwinner of the family. Over and over again I find myself falling for sales pitches for things I feel that I have to have for some reason or another only to have my husband tell me why I don't really need this or that and the majority of the time he has some fairly good reasons to justify himself. Although unlike the stereotypical woman, I do not own a closet full of shoes and handbags or really feel a necessity to buy a lot of them either. I also do not own a lot of makeup or spend half the morning making myself look pretty. I personally like being natural. I wonder what my life would be like if I was the breadwinner and my husband was the stay at home father. I know many women who thrive in fast paced, high stress positions...I just don't know if I could be one of them.

Some may see this book as sexist, but it has scientific evidence for its theories about the way men and women behave differently when shopping, buying, or just doing anything. It looks at the brain and pulls it apart piece by piece showing how women use it differently than men. It shows how our differences in thinking effect our outcomes in buying. It explains how we are wired differently and what the marketer needs to do to effectively sell their products.

I am a Thomas Nelson Book Review Blogger and I thank them for providing me with this book to review.

No comments: