Friday, November 2, 2012

Foodie Friday Squash Curry Soup


Squash Curry Soup
Makes 6-8 servings
This soup is usually made of a mix of butternut and acorn squash and has the same effect as baked pumpkin. You can also use a combination of winter squash you have on hand in roughly the same amount. We made this with Delicata and Spaghetti squash. This is why the soup in the picture isn't as orange.

Ingredients:
4 cups butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
4 cups acorn squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1/3 cup salted butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
2 14 1/2-ounce cans chicken/vegetable broth
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons curry powder or my favorite Kohinoor Sheek Kebab Special
1 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Also great to top with Lawry's seasoned pepper, chives, thyme, cilantro and/or sage

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds and place cut side down on a baking sheet with some foil so that clean up will be easier. Roast the squash for 40-45 minutes or until it is very tender. Allow squash to cool.

While the squash is baking, sauté the onion, garlic and ginger in the butter in a large pot over a medium heat until the onion is translucent and soft. Add the broth, bring to boil. Scoop the cooled squash from the skin and add to the broth. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Working in batches, puree soup in blender. Return soup to same pot. Stir in cream and sour cream; bring to simmer. Stir in seasonings. Serve.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds yummy! I love making soup and can't wait to try this one...gives me a great excuse to use my immersion stick blender! I love being able to blend right in the stock pot!

Finamoon said...

I usually forget to use my immersion stick blender...I need to use it more...thanks for the comment and reminding me :)

Nicole @ MamaNYC said...

Oh wow.. this looks yummy and easy, too! I agree with comment above. I ALWAYS forget or neglect using my immersion blender, so its definitely a great excuse to whip it out this week. Thanks for the delicious idea! :)

LaVonne said...

What a great time of year to post a yummy soup recipe. Thanks for sharing! I love Curry anything!

Unknown said...

Sounds great! Thanks for the recipe!