Tuesday, November 9, 2010

CSN Stores KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Mixer Attachment Review

Since I am a CSN Preferred Blogger I received a $65 Gift Code free to use at their stores and review the item I got with it. Since I already had a KitchenAid stand mixer I decided to get the KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Mixer Attachment. I was looking forward to making my own ice cream, frozen yogurt, sorbet and sherbet in the comfort of my own home. This attachment converts any* KitchenAid stand mixer into an ice cream maker. It creates up to 2 quarts in about 25 minutes. The dasher is powered by the KitchenAid and once you freeze the bowl in the freezer for at least 15 hours (18 hours or longer is better for less of a soft serve consistency) it is ready for you to add the mixture, mix it, then freeze it in the freeze bowl some more to get the thickness desired.

Using this attachment and making frozen desserts with it does take quite a bit of preparation too in advance. I have used a Rival motorized ice cream maker before that needed rock salt and ice. The Rival machine actually took less time (20-40 minutes) to make ice cream because you don't have to wait for the freeze bowl to freeze in the freezer. After the first batch is done & eaten and the bowl components are washed it is best to just leave the freeze bowl in the freezer so you are ready to use it again right away. Also, if you like to make more than one batch at a time a second freeze bowl is great to have around so you can alternate between them. If you don't mind the wait of freezing time in between batches and already have a KitchenAid stand mixer then this is an excellent choice for an ice cream maker. I made vanilla ice cream from the recipe in the booklet that came with it and it turned out fantastic. Very simple and easy to use. Just read the instructions in the booklet and follow them.

You will need to hand-wash the freeze bowl so no damage becomes of it, but the dasher, drive assembly, and adapter ring are all dishwasher-safe. It also comes with a 1-year hassle-free replacement warranty.

*US or Canadian mixers only. However if you have a machine from somewhere else you can call KitchenAid to possibly get some extra parts for this to make it work for you...or so I am told.

DISCLOSURE/DISCLAIMER: Thanks to CSN Stores for providing me with the $65 Gift Code free to use at their stores so that I could review the item I got with it. My thoughts are mine and my family's own opinion and have not been altered by anyone else. I did not receive any other compensation for posting this review.

No comments: