Friday, February 10, 2017

Foodie Friday Sweet Pepper & Tomato Crustless Quiche #FoodieFriday


I love living on a farm and owning chickens! One of the benefits of having my 8 hens is the free abundance of farm fresh eggs. We get many different colors and sizes. Sometimes we are blessed with an unusually large egg. I am not sure which one of our hens laid the one shown in the picture, but it turned out to have a double yolk inside!

I also love that I can teach my kids where our food actually comes from. Having it come straight from our own farm is a wonderful teaching and learning experience for them. I believe that this is extremely important for future generations because so many children now grow up thinking that food comes from the grocery store or supermarket. I love that I have this awesome opportunity with my children to teach them gardening, agriculture, home cooking/baking and other dying skills that need to be passed on.

Speaking of home cooking, my kids and I made two Sweet Pepper & Tomato Crustless Quiches the other day for dinner. I love a good quiche and crustless ones are so easy to whip together! My chickens' eggs also make them the best! Here is the recipe for this one...


Sweet Pepper & Tomato Crustless Quiche

Ingredients for one quiche:
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 large sweet pepper; seeded, destemmed and diced (We used a green and red one because we made two quiches, but any color is fine.)
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 medium onion; peeled and diced
  • 3 tablespoons whole milk
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • A handful of dried tomatoes (We had these in a bag from a summer of slicing, dehydrating, and freezing them. If you don't have homemade dried ones I suggest getting some sun dried ones from the store.)
Equipment needed:
  • 1 - 9 inch round pie plate
  • 1 whisk
  • 1 - 12 inch skillet (I love my cast iron ones!)
  • 1 spatula
  • 1 mixing spoon
  • 1 mixing bowl 
  • 1 oven with stove top
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in the middle. 
  2. Lightly butter the inside of the pie plate to make it nonstick and set it aside.
  3. Saute the onion and sweet pepper in butter in the skillet over medium-high heat, stirring with the spatula occasionally, about 5 minutes.
  4. Whisk together eggs and milk in the mixing bowl, then add the onion and sweet pepper mixture and most of the cheese, saving some out to go on top before baking. Fold this mixture together with the mixing spoon.
  5. Pour this mixture into the pie plate, sprinkling the last of the cheese on top.
  6. Take the handful of dried tomatoes and place them evenly on top.
  7. Bake uncovered until top is golden and egg blend has set in center, about 35 minutes.
  8. Cool slightly, about 10 minutes, before cutting into wedges.
  9. Enjoy!
  10.  

2 comments:

Erin said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I make crustless quiches too! I am waiting for my hens to start laying. I only have one laying right now. Come on Spring!

JJ said...

It looks yummy! Thanks for sharing.