I love to sit and listen to the songs of birds. They always cheer me up with their lovely tweets and twitters. A lot of classical music artists have been inspired by the birds and their creativity has been forever immortalized in this music. There is a tremendous similarity between notes of instruments and the birds' songs.
Listen to the Birds An Introduction to Classical Music hardcover Storybook captures the essence of these birds in gorgeous illustrations by Cecilia Varela. This book has wonderful explanatory notes and descriptions of the birds in detail. It also has a listening guide that has notes on the music, the composers, a gloassary of musical terms, and a timeline of composers and periods. It has 64, 8"x8 pages.
Listen to the Birds An Introduction to Classical Music CD is a wonderful compilation chosen by Ana Gerhard of beautiful classical music by notable works by Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi, and others. It offers 20 excerpts (26 minutes) ranging from The Goldfinch, Hens and Roosters, and The Dance of the Swans to The Cuckoo and the Nightingale, Piano Concerto N, and Dance of the Firebird. These are performed by great luminaries including the London Symphony Orchestra, the Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra, and the Toronto Chamber Orchestra.
This book and CD is fabulous for homeschool and the introduction of classical music to little ones. Great for ages 7-9. Originally this was published in Mexico and now the English version is available in North America for the first time.
- The Goldfinch, Vivaldi 1:05
- La Primavera, Vivaldi 1:07
- The Song of the Birds, Janequin 1:35
- Melancholy, Rautavaara 1:24
- The Bird (Peter and the Wolf), Prokofiev 0:28
- Hens and Roosters (The Carnival of Animals), Saint-Saëns 1:07
- Aviary (The Carnival of Animals), Saint-Saëns 1:23
- The Swan (The Carnival of Animals), Saint-Saëns 1:15
- Dance of the Swans (Swan Lake), Tchaikovsky. 1:29
- Song for the Lark (The Seasons - Album for Children), Tchaikovsky 1:02
- The Lark Ascending, Vaughan Williams 1:32
- Ballet Of The Unhatched Chicks, Mussorgsky 1:10
- Toccata Con Lo Scherzo Del Cucco, Pasquini 1:28
- The Cuckoo and the Nightingale, Handel 1:12
- The Robin, Messiaen 1:02
- Papageno and Papagena (The Magic Flute), W.A. Mozart 2.33
- Piano Concerto N° 17, W.A. Mozart 1:35
- The Raven, Schubert 0:48
- Dance of the Firebird, Stravinsky 1:14
- Toy Symphony, L. Mozart 2:08
DISCLOSURE/DISCLAIMER: I received products for free to facilitate my review. My thoughts are mine and my family's own opinion and have not been altered by anyone else. I did not receive any other compensation for doing this review. Affiliate links may be present in this post. Thank you for supporting my blog.