Sunday, July 17, 2011

Homemade Syrups, Sodas and Other Fizzy Concoctions Blog Hop

Photo courtesy: the kitchn

I have been interested in the herbal community and herbs for natural healing and health for ages now. My favorite book on the subject, Encyclopedia of Natural Healing, is dogeared and worn as I have used it many times as a reference. I have many, many herbal friends on Facebook and Twitter. These are my kindred spirits, some with knowledge beyond my years and some just learning like I.

My herbal friend, Kiva Rose, is well known in the wildcrafting and herbal community. She is the Co-Editor at Plant Healer: A Journal of Traditional Western Herbalism, the director and organizer of the Traditions in Western Herbalism Conference and the director and instructor of the Anima Lifeways & Herbal School.

So the other day Kiva posted on her Facebook wall that she loves lavender Italian soda with whipped cream. She had made this unique and wonderful sounding drink herself. She has a way of coming up with the most divine sounding recipes and commenting about them on Facebook making us all wish we were at her place for dinner. I love reading her posts on her Facebook wall and on her blog. She is a great inspiration for those of us who have her as a friend. When she posts it is hard not to comment :)

The comments were inspiring too, as one pointed out that the Sodastream that I have in my home and have reviewed here on my blog in the past could be used as the means to carbonate these delicious fizzy drinks. I had thought of making my own syrups, sodas and fizzy concoctions myself but never to the extent of using my Sodastream to carbonate them. Now I was hearing of yummy things like using rose syrup, cream from fresh goats milk, jasmine, elderberry, pomegranate, basil-mint, lemon balm, raspberry, elderflower, prickly pear, mulberry etc. to flavor fizzy water with! These natural sodas/syrups just are better for you and also tastier than their regular counterparts.

I have made my own awesome ginger ale before with the use of an already carbonated lemon/lime soda. I use my Hurricane Stainless Steel Manual Wheatgrass Juicer to juice the ginger root and squeeze out all the precious juice from it. Then we add as much of the ginger juice as we like to the lemon/lime soda and there you go...a yummy ginger ale how ever strong you like it. However, my version doesn't use my Sodastream and usually has high fructose corn syrup in it. I was looking on the web for something that might be better and came across this great post too about some homemade ginger syrup you could use with your Sodastream or carbonation machine.

Kiva's post also inspired me to create a blog hop to show a bit of our creative side. What is a blog hop? Well...A blog hop is a list of blogs or specific posts related to a similar topic. A blog “host” (that would be me) lists a Linky (list of links to other blogs or posts) on their page, along with the Blog Hop rules. There are 2 parts to a blog hop: 1) Each participant adds their info to the Linky so others can see it. 2) Each participant re-posts the Linky on their blog to promote the blog hop (not mandatory, but I hope you will do this part so others may also know about this).

Let's see how many recipes we can come up with for Homemade Syrups, Sodas and Other Fizzy Concoctions. I am intrigued by this concept and would love to connect with other blogs that want to participate in this too. Besides a recipe, pictures of your drink that you have created would be awesome! Add your link with the button below the rules.

5 comments:

Jaedyn said...

What a fun idea! I have no idea where to start, though...

Wendi said...

Very fun! I have a Sodastream and never thought of making my own syrups...

jamaise said...

Very cool post. I have the perfect thing. Now I just have to get a post written :)

Karla said...

I haven't had soda in years, but these creative soda ideas are tempting me to try making my own.

Finamoon said...

Here is another good one... https://wellnessmama.com/11392/homemade-root-beer/