Purple Dream HunBaba Mei Tai Baby Carrier for free to test and review and when it arrived it was even more gorgeous in person than in the pictures. Coming all the way from Hungary it only took two weeks to get to me. HunBaba was so kind as to updating me about where the package was because the tracking number wasn't auto updating and gave me a status of "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" throughout its shipping.
I love babywearing! I also love trying out and having different baby carriers. I couldn't wait to try this one out! Since this is my very first Mei Tai carrier I was not familiar with putting it on or how to use it. It came with a very helpful DVD with a powerpoint slide show to walk me through the process of both front and back carry. These carriers are based on traditional Chinese soft baby carriers that can be used as front packs, back packs, and hip carriers. Unlike the traditional carriers though this one has a hood that folds up and over the baby's head so that it is protected from the elements and also supports the baby's head while it sleeps. The Ergo baby carrier has a similar hood they call a sleeping hood. This is an awesome feature that is especially wonderful for here in Oregon where it rains a whole bunch in the winter months. It can also be used as a shade to keep out the sun. I would be careful though that you check on your baby every once in a while while the hood is up to make sure baby is safely breathing. The hood has beautiful embroidery on it and can be adjusted as baby grows with the extensions with snaps.
I tried out the front carry with my daughter Zari and the back carry with my daughter Teela. This carrier is exceptionally comfortable both ways and distributes the baby's weight evenly. I love the front carry the best because I could kiss Zari's head and it was very much like she was hugging me. Zari loves this carrier and fell asleep in it right away. Teela wanted to be in it again once she was out :) She thought it was a wonderful way of getting a piggy back ride. I am very petite, but was still able to back carry my two and a half year old daughter comfortably in it. It was fairly easy to put on both ways although I thought the front carry was easier since you can see what you are doing. I also liked the front carry better because the straps didn't feel like they were going to slide off. I tried a different way of tying them for the back carry and since I am small I crossed them in front and it worked better for me and was still holding Teela securely. In the picture above I have the Hunbaba the way the CD told me to wear it.
There are only a few downsides to the HunBaba Mei Tai baby carrier that I have found. It is pricey costing $99 plus roughly $25 shipping from Hungary. Also, the straps are very long and the whole thing can be a little cumbersome especially when trying to pack it for trips in a diaper bag.
It is; however, constructed very well and has reinforced padded straps for sturdiness and durability. The shoulder straps are 200 cm+ long for differences in body types. The waist strap can be rolled up to shorten the body of the carrier for little babies and the body is contoured instead of square like some Mei Tais. All in all, it is so worth getting and the craftsmanship is superior than anything I have tried before! The HunBaba would be a great baby shower gift or Christmas gift for someone.
Here is someone doing the Lexi Twist with the Hunbaba Mei Tai:
Marti has generously offered a HunBaba Mei Tai Baby Carrier of the winner's choice to giveaway to one of my readers.
1. Go to the HunBaba website and tell me by commenting on this post which HunBaba you like the best.
1. Subscribe to my blog by feedburner or by email and let me know which way. (2 extra entries each)
2. Fan/Like me on facebook and write something on my wall. (1 extra entry)
3. Blog about this giveaway on your blog and provide me with the link. Make sure you have the link to this post and HunBaba in your blog entry or it won't count. (2 extra entries)
4. Grab My Button (see sidebar to the left) AND/OR Put My Blog URL in Your Blogroll - Leave Your Link. (1 extra entry)
5. Technorati my blog and let me know your link. (1 extra entry)
6. Fave me on Momfaves. (2 extra entries)
7. List this giveaway on any giveaway listing website or blog giveaway linky and tell me where you listed it. (2 extra entries)
8. Post this on your Facebook wall, Kirtsy, and/or StumbleUpon. (2 extra entries for each)
9. Comment on my regular (not giveaway) posts. (1 extra entry per post you comment on)
10. Follow me on Twitter. (1 extra entry)
11. Tweet this: @finamoon WIN A HunBaba Mei Tai Baby Carrier #giveaway http://bit.ly/esXAmE (Daily Extras are Available)
12. Heart HunBaba on Etsy. (1 extra entry)
Make sure you leave me your email in all posts so that I can contact you. If you subscribed, blogged about this, listed it, commented on another post, or faved me on Momfaves leave 2 entries saying you did. This contest ends on Friday December 31, 2010 at midnight (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada). This Giveaway is open to all 18 years and over Worldwide!!
DISCLOSURE/DISCLAIMER: Thanks to HunBaba for sending me a Purple Dream HunBaba Mei Tai Baby Carrier, information about the carrier and this giveaway for free. My thoughts are mine and my family's own opinion and have not been altered by anyone else. I did not receive any other compensation for doing this review.