We bought my daughter Teela a Singer ZigZag Chainstitch Toy Sewing Machine Model A2207 (the new model for 2014) for Christmas this year. This gift was intended to be an pleasant experience for her to begin to learn to sew. Instead it was an utter disappointment. I guess I should have known since it was a "toy", but I was expecting something a lot better from Singer.
|Teela posing with the toy sewing machine she received for Christmas before the headache began.|
Problems we had:
- The machine runs on 4 x 1.5V LR6 "AA" batteries that are not included.
- On/Off switch is hard to push into position.
- The machine is very loud while running.
- The tension is difficult to get right and the tension dial comes off completely if dialed too much.
- Thread breaks easily while sewing with the machine.
- There is no bobbin, so no under/bottom threading to lock top threading to fabric.
- Both the zigzag and chainstitch comes out/unravels too easily.
- Can only "sew" light fabrics and paper crafts.
- It is nearly impossible to re-thread or change the needle. You need to unscrew the guard/protective cover every time you need to re-thread the needle or change the needle. This is very time consuming and requires a small screw driver the sewing machine doesn't come with.
- Spool compartment and storage compartment is hard to open and close.
Things we liked:
- It has cute alluring designs and packaging.
- It is lightweight.
- It has a carrying handle.
- Safety guard over the needle doesn't let little fingers be sewn.
- Pressure foot can be lifted up and down with a lever on the back like a real sewing machine.
- It comes with project materials (2 pieces of fabric that are already sized correctly for the project, 1 ribbon, 1 flower applique, 1 butterfly applique) and instructions to make your own bookmark.
- It comes with operators manual.
- The spool compartment holds 3 spools of thread that are included.
- Has a small storage compartment that holds a measuring tape, needle threader, and plastic needle that also comes with the machine.
- Foot pedal is sized for little feet.
DISCLOSURE/DISCLAIMER: I did not receive any compensation for this post. I purchased this product myself and wanted to post this information to advise my readers of my thoughts about it so that they wouldn't go through the same headache as I did.