Guest Post by First My Family:
7 Ways to Keep Your Family Safe this Season
O-M-G the holidays are already here! That’s what everyone says as the decorations go up and the festivities begin. What they don’t talk about are the serious dangers millions of families face during the holiday season.
FACT: AAA projects that nearly 50 million people will travel this Thanksgiving and another 100 million will likely travel during the December holidays.
Increased travel during unsafe weather is a recipe for disaster, and as we’ve seen in the past - disasters happen when we least expect. Andrew Torres, CEO and Founder of First My Family, a disaster preparedness company knows that planning ahead can literally save lives. First My Family is most famous for being the official licensee and creator of the AMC The Walking Dead Survival Kit and most recently the AMC The Walking Dead Zombie Preparedness Apocalypse Kit (ZPAK). Andrew has also been in the emergency management and crisis management fields for the last 18 years and knows a thing or two about how to be prepared.
While no one can predict the weather or when catastrophe will occur, by following First My Family’s “Seven Steps to Stay Safe this Season,” families can mitigate their risk and hopefully stay safe and sound this holiday season.
Seven Steps to Stay Safe this Season
- Water your holiday tree every day and keep it away from heat sources. According to FEMA, heat sources cause 1 out of every 6 Christmas tree fires each year. Make sure your tree is well-watered to prevent dryness and position the tree at least three feet away from any heat source.
- Prepare for #winter storms by checking your emergency kit! A basic kit should include, food, water, first aid, lighting, warmth and supplies to help start a fire.
- Pets get cold too. Bring your furry friends inside! If they are outside, make sure they have plenty of non-frozen water and are able to stay warm. Remember, pets are family too!
- Traveling during the holidays? Make sure you are prepared to get home safe. Every car should have a full tank of gas, charged cell phone, food, water, flashlight with batteries, first aid kit, jumper cables, warm clothes, blanket, shovel and work gloves.
- Be extra cautious about possible fire hazards. Turn all lights and candles off before going to bed.
- The holidays can be a lonely time. If you have family members with special needs or aging parents, make sure they can pay their bills, have a warm place to stay during the winter holidays, and know who to call for help.
- Kids love to play during the winter. Make sure they are safe by dressing them in multiple layers of clothing. To prevent hypothermia, bring kids indoors if they are shivering and have them come inside often on very cold days. Don’t let babies sleep in a cold room.
The Official AMC The Walking Dead Zombie Preparedness Apocalypse Kit (ZPAK) comes in a custom branded Nalgene Sport Water bottle that is 32oz and BPA Free. It has a custom carabiner and The Walking Dead ZPAK artwork in it. Perfect for everyday use to stay prepared in an emergency or in case of zombie attacks. Included in this handy kit are emergency and survival items that are a great compliment to any survival kit or bug out bag.
|First My Family ZPAK Contents|
- (1) 32oz Custom Nalgene BPA Free Wide Mouth Sport water bottle. Made in the U.S.A.
- (1) Custom Carabiner - Not designed for professional climbing
- (1) 5-1 Emergency Whistle with Compass, Flint, Signal Mirror and Carrying Case
- (1) Emergency Mylar Space Blanket to keep you warm during harsh conditions
- (1) Emergency Poncho to keep you dry
- (1) 12-Hour Glow Stick to light up the darkness
- (10) Medical Grade bandages
- *From the creators of The Walking Dead Survival Kit
- Items inside the bottle may fluctuate due to unexpected limitations on supply and can be altered for similar items at the discretion of First My Family
|Use the ZPAK container as a water bottle for water or other cold drinks.|
I love this small one person survival kit because it is perfect for gifting! It is compact enough to fit in a Christmas stocking or under the tree and perfect for packing in a larger pack. Once you take the contents out of the bottle they come in you can use it as well for a drinking container. The carabiner is great to attach the whole kit to a belt loop or backpack. The contents of this kit are a great start to helping in an emergency. I am probably going to add a healthy protein bar to this kit as well because there is a little room in the water bottle for one. This is great for hiking, climbing, camping, hunting, fishing, or a car ride...just in case.
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/firstmyfamily
Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/firstmyfamily
Pinterest - https://www.pinterest.com/firstmyfamily/
Instagram - https://instagram.com/firstmyfamily/
Get the ZPAK for $29.95
DISCLOSURE/DISCLAIMER: I received this product for free to review. My thoughts are mine and my family's own opinion and have not been altered by anyone else. I did not receive any other compensation for doing this review.