"Each song needed to either lyrically or emotionally reflect the corresponding month," Emmy explained. "Some songs were obvious fits, like Summer Wind for June, and Pretty Paper for December. Others songs were less literal fits. I chose Nobody Knows You (When You're Down and Out) for September because, to me, the plaintive melody and lyric emotionally reflect the cold weather creeping in and the sense of melancholy we can get in the fall months."The album's highlights include its title track, which was a No. 1 hit for Les Brown and His Band of Renown with Doris Day as the vocalist in 1945; These Foolish Things, a '30s standard that has been recorded by everyone from Nat King Cole and Bing Crosby to Rod Stewart and Michael Buble, and Summer Wind, which was popularized by Frank Sinatra in 1966.
I never knew she was so multi-talented. Rossum is also an acclaimed actress who currently stars in the Showtime series Shameless with William H. Macy. She also stars alongside Emma Thompson and Viola Davis in the upcoming feature film Beautiful Creatures, which hits theaters on February 13th. She also has an amazing voice.
Sentimental Journey Track Listing and my thoughts:
- Sentimental Journey (Les Brown, Ben Homer, Arthur Green): This is one of the songs I could see Emmy sitting on top of the piano singing. It is a slow dance number with great piano, bass and band accompaniment.
- The Object Of My Affection (Pinky Tomlin): Love this upbeat number. It reminds me of something that might be sang to troops headed off to war to cheer them up. I love the interlude.
- I’m Looking Over A Four Leaf Clover (Mort Dixon, Harry M. Woods): I love this song! Great for the month of March; in honor of St. Patrick's Day. Upbeat with a great interlude also. At the end it has a chorus of people join in singing with her.
- These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You) (Eric Maschwitz, Jack Strachey): Slow and romantic number that has Emmy singing sweetly about longing for a lover who has gone and reminiscing about him.
- (I’ll Be With You) In Apple Blossom Time (Albert Von Tilzer, Neville Fleeson): There is some gorgeous harmony in this slow dance number that reminds me of The Andrews Sisters.
- Summer Wind (Heinz Meier, Johnny Mercer): Love the big band sound to this one.
- Many Tears Ago (Winfield Scott): In this one it is amazing how different her voice sounds...more a mix of country and 1960's I think.
- All I Do Is Dream Of You (Nacio Herb Brown, Arthur Freed): Love her voice in this one and the saxophone at the end.
- Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out (Jimmy Cox): This is a great soulful remake.
- Autumn Leaves (Joseph Kosma, Jacques Prévert): This I think is one of my favorite songs on the album. It is slow and has a french flare and Emmy's voice is beautiful in French.
- Things (Bobby Darin): Upbeat and another of my favorites. This song is really fun.
- Pretty Paper (Willie Nelson): Country Christmas classic from Willie Nelson. Emmy's version is lovely.
- Keep Young And Beautiful (Bonus Track): This song is sung by Rossum with humorous overtones. I really don't subscribe to the point of view that you have to be beautiful to be loved, and this song sounds like something that would have been on the radio advertizing makeup or something, but Rossum sings it well.
- Emmy will performing a track from Sentimental Journey on Access Hollywood Live on January 25th
- Emmy will also be appearing as a guest on Conan on January 28th
- Chelsea Lately on January 29th
- The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson on February 6th.
Follow Emmy on Twitter and on Facebook.
Amazon for $9.99 or iTunes for $11.99.
DISCLOSURE/DISCLAIMER: I participated in this campaign for One2One Network. I received a free copy of the CD to facilitate my review. By posting, I am eligible for incentives. My thoughts are mine and my family's own opinion and have not been altered by anyone else. I did not receive any other compensation for doing this review.