voluntary recall of Nestlé Baby food in glass jars, P’tit Pot Recette Banana baby food by Nestlé France, following the finding of glass in one jar by a consumer. Also, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is warning people not to consume certain Heinz Strained Meat baby food products because some jars have a glass deformity that could break off during normal use.
This is not a new problem it seems though because back in March of 2006 H-E-B brand products in Texas recalled their entire line of H-E-B baby food products from the shelves due to a few customer reports of pieces of glass being found inside the baby food jars of H-E-B peas, carrots and applesauce. It also happened in June of 2004 in Washington with Organic Baby and Naturally Preferred brands which were also recalled because of glass shards found. Even in February 1986, March 1986 and Sept. 1984 the well known Gerber brand of baby food had glass shards found in their jars, however; in 1986 Gerber never recalled the jars because the FDA instead dismissed the it saying they didn't plan on any action.
Over the years other things have been found in baby food and/or baby food packaging sold in stores across the country. Some of which are: Lead, mercury, mold, botulism, metal shards, BPA and Semicarbazide. No one wants to ever feed their baby hazardous things. For me these news stories only reinforce how much better and safer homemade baby food is.
Homemade baby food is not only safer but it is also very easy to make too, especially with the Fresh Baby So Easy Baby Food Kit. With this kit you can make fresh, natural baby food in less than 30 minutes a week. This kit is super convenient! Just open the box and get started! Everything you need is all right there for you. This award-winning all-in-one kit includes cookbook, freezer storage trays with lids, how-to DVD, and nutrition tip card. It is recommended by pediatricians and a perfect baby shower gift. The So Easy Baby Food Kit takes all of the guesswork out of making baby food. Nurture your growing baby with a balanced diet and provide the right start to a lifetime of healthy eating with the So Easy Baby Food Kit guiding you along every step or the way.
Benefits of Homemade Baby Food:
- increased nutrition
- elimination of additives
- improved freshness
- additional variety
- enhanced control
- less waste created
- more economical
The cookbook is very helpful. It is hardcover and spiral bound so it opens up flat. It goes through and talks about healthy eating habits, benefits of home-prepared baby food, introducing solid foods, dietary guidelines for babies, making and serving baby food, kitchen tools needed, safety basics, food choices broken up by age, traveling with homemade baby food and managing your time. It also has places to record your baby's eating milestones and recipes depending upon development. The recipes also have variations, things that would be good to combine with it and nutritional information.
The reusable trays are great for freezing baby food and they have lids that go on snug so that nothing foreign gets into the food and everything is sealed so there is also no spillage. These are made of a BPA and phthalate-free plastic that washes up easily by hand or in the dishwasher. Also, I am glad the trays are reusable. I certainly don't have all the packaging waste now that I am not buying baby food in jars which is a bonus since my recycling program here doesn't take glass. Now to find cool things to do with my old empty baby food jars and lids :) Even though the So Easy Baby Food Kit is designed for babies making the transition from breast or bottle to solid foods (babies about 6 months old), I have found these trays to be great for storing and freezing breastmilk in before the baby is ready for solids and also for making your own baby rice cereal. After your baby has moved on from baby food these trays can be used a number of other ways too. These include flavored ice cubes, regular ice cubes, toddler snack tray or Bento box meal tray, single serving dipping sauces, soup stock cubes, etc.
The DVD is 22 minutes long. It goes through the basics and step by step takes you through the simple process of selecting the right produce to preparing and making baby food on your own. Very helpful for the visual learner.
The nutrition tip card is laminated so it wipes clean easily. It includes: 10 healthy eating habits, common baby ailments and foods, best sources of nutrients, choking, fresh baby food tips, first foods by age. Great resources to have right at your fingertips so you won't have to flip through the cookbook to find them.
I am glad that I have this neat kit to make healthy homemade baby food for my daughter, Zari. I now know everything that I am putting into the baby food I make her so I know that it is safe and nutritious. It has helped to have a baby food grinder and blender on hand also to help me make the baby food. She is enjoying the homemade meals even more than the store bought ones she used to have. I also have a mesh teething baby safe feeder that she loves chewing on with the frozen cubes of baby food in.
So Easy Baby Food Kit includes:
- Cookbook: covers introducing solid food, includes over 40 recipes, hundreds of serving suggestions, and is all organized by age. (Hardcover, 118 pages).
- Freezer trays: designed for storing baby food in pre-portioned one ounce servings to simplify meal time and reduce waste. (2 trays and 2 lids, spill-proof, stackable, dishwasher-safe). BPA and phthalate-free.
- How-to DVD: offers step-by-step instruction - from selecting the right produce - to making baby food - to serving it.
- Nutrition tips card: gives you tips on the best sources of nutrients, introducing foods by age, first aid for choking, and more. (Waterproof Finish)
The Fresh Baby So Easy Baby Food Kit is $37.95 and includes: So Easy Baby Food Cookbook, 2 freezer trays with lids, how-to DVD, and nutrition card.
Nannette from Fresh Baby has generously offered another Fresh Baby So Easy Baby Food Kit for one of my readers to win.
1. Go to the Fresh Baby website and tell me another product you would love and why.
1. Subscribe to my blog by feedburner or by email and let me know which way. (3 extra entries each)
2. Become my fan/like on facebook and write something on my wall. (1 extra entry)
3. Follow me on Google Friend Connect (GFC) on the left sidebar and/or Networked Blogs Let me know what your user name is. (2 extra entries each)
4. Blog about this giveaway on your blog and provide me with the link. Make sure you have the link to this post and Fresh Baby in your blog entry or it won't count. (2 extra entries)
5. Give me a brief POSITIVE review on Alexa and provide me with your user name. (3 extra entries)
6. Grab My Button (see sidebar to the left) AND/OR Put My Blog URL in Your Blogroll - Leave Your Link. (1 extra entry)
7. Technorati my blog and let me know your link. (1 extra entry)
8. List this giveaway on any giveaway listing website or blog Linky/Link-up and tell me where you listed it. (2 extra entries)
9. Follow me on Twitter. (1 extra entry)
10. Tweet this: @finamoon: @FreshBabyBiz #WIN So Easy Baby Food Kit #giveaway http://bit.ly/o1XkoK
(Daily Extras are Available)
11. Write about this giveaway with a link to this post on your Facebook wall, Kirtsy, StumbleUpon, or other social media website besides Twitter. Let me know where. (2 extra entries for each)
12. Fave me on Momfaves. (2 extra entries)
13. Comment on any of my regular posts (not giveaway posts) and let me know which post you commented on. (1 extra entry per post you comment on)
14. Fan Fresh Baby on Facebook. (1 extra entry)
15. Follow Fresh Baby on Twitter. (1 extra entry)
Make sure you leave me your email in all posts so that I can contact you. Don't forget to leave a comment for each task and the correct amount of entries for each task. This contest ends on Friday July 22, 2011 at midnight (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada). This Giveaway is open to all 18 years and over in the U.S. Only!!
DISCLOSURE/DISCLAIMER: I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com created by WebBizIdeas.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commissions 16 CFR, Part 255 Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. Tomoson Product review & giveaway Disclosure. I found all of the recall information from news stories online. This information is only correct to the best of my knowledge and understanding.